Thursday, June 24, 2010

June 24, 2010 Facing Up

Do you ever wonder why the Scriptures are so full of supernatural happenings, and yet our lives (most of them anyway) are so NOT?  I do!  Maybe having an ordinary life is all you want, so I guess if that's what you have, you should keep up doing what you're doing to have it that way.  But me, I'm not satisfied with ordinary.  I don't see anywhere in Scripture, either in the Old or New Testaments, where life with God is ordinary.  It seems that anywhere He is, there is something going on that is out-of-this-world!

When I read accounts of people in the Bible having supernatural interactions with God (and doesn't that seem to be a regular thing in our readings?) a growing hunger arises in my spirit for the things of heaven, and I wonder why my life seems so earthbound.  While I've been "on vacation," the Lord's been speaking to me about why I'm not experiencing as much of Him as I'd like, or even as much as I used to.  I have been getting too much earthly input, and not enough heavenly!  Realizing this, I decided to watch some videos from ministries I trust.  All the messages I heard seemed to say the same thing (and one of them even quoted today's passage from Kings!): we should be having greater revelation and prophetic experiences than ever, and we are going to need them; and that if we want to see heaven, then heaven is what we should put before our eyes.  I'm being reminded of what I knew before: whatever we focus on is what we eventually experience.

I had an inkling that Proverbs 17:24* was related to this, and when I ventured to look it up in the Hebrew, I was amazed at how much is missing in translation!  I'm not going to go into a long explanation, so you'll just have to look it up for yourself.  But this is the message that jumped out at me: If you face heaven, then you'll see heaven and you'll gain wisdom and understanding; but if you face earth, then all you'll see is earthly things, and you'll end up a fool. 

That seems pretty simple and straightforward, doesn't it?  Basically, we choose our experience of life by where we place our focus.  Admittedly, it's easy to get our focus off onto meaningless and temporary things, or even "earth-shattering" events.  But if we want to live the life Christ intended for us, we need to get our focus on Him and on His Kingdom.  I am making the needed adjustments.  You?



*"Wisdom is in the sight of him who has understanding, But the eyes of a fool are on the ends of the earth." Proverbs 17: 24-25 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment