Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May 4, 2010

What a good role-model is John the Baptist!  He faithfully and passionately carried out his mission from God: to prepare the people for the Messiah.  He was a great preacher, and got results.  Lots of people followed him.  But when the Messiah was indeed revealed to him, just as God had told him, John the Baptist gave way to him.  "He must increase, but I must decrease."  He had joy, not resentment when the fulfillment of his calling had brought his ministry to an end.  His testimony about Christ is one of the most clearly articulated in Scripture: he left no doubt as to who Jesus was and what He was here to accomplish.  It would be good for us to meditate on John the Baptist's words and get them deep into our hearts.

There is plenty of practical application of John the Baptist's gracious giving-way to Christ.  Parents' ministry is to raise children to grow up and have their own life.  Ministers are preparing the saints to mature and carry out their own callings.  If we do our job well, we will come to an obvious place of having to release that which we birthed, for it has a life of its own. 

I came to the Lord as a broken and dysfunctional person who had no idea who she was.  My personhood had been stolen from me.  The Lord Jesus, by His Spirit and Word, and through His godly ministers, nursed me back to health, restored me to healthy functioning, and gave me a sense of worth, identity and purpose.  He gave me back myself!  It was so awesome to finally feel good about myself and about being alive.  Then I truly had the opportunity to "lay down my life" for Him.  Before that, I had little to offer, only a "broken and contrite heart", which we know He does not despise.  Now I'm in a different place of making way for Christ. 

I think it is important to note that John the Baptist said, "He must increase, but I must decrease."  The Lord certainly increased in me, building me up from the inside out, starting from a below-basement level of destruction.  As I learned who I was, I discovered my weaknesses and how He could fill them.  I discovered my empty places and how He could fill those too.  He revealed my wrong thinking and replaced it with His truth.  He showed me my strengths and how He could empower them for His glory.  There's much, much more to do, (I'm far from being Christlike) but at least now, I know how to let Him live in me. 

At a certain point in my life, however, I became aware that He was "letting go."  He again gave me a choice to follow and serve Him.  Now that He had restored me, He was setting me free!  Is this amazing or what?  Of course, it wasn't a difficult choice for me.  I was like that Old Testament picture of the slave who didn't want to be set free because of love for the master, choosing to become a bondservant for life.  My ear has been pierced!  I totally belong to Him!  He chose me first, but then He gave me a chance to choose Him back.  I chose Him, and I have never regretted it. 

Now, as I live for Him, study His Word and get more revelation of Him, He continues to grow in me; it gets very uncomfortable for my "self" and I have to make more room for Him by letting go of pride, an agenda, or anything else that doesn't fit with Him.  I don't just try to get rid of something about myself or "kill myself off".  Picking up your cross and following Him daily is not the same as trying to crucify yourself!  That just doesn't work.  It leaves holes in us that can be filled with something other than Him if we're not very careful.  I think it's dangerous to try to decrease yourself so that He can increase.  The Lord will expose deeper holes in you that need to be filled with Him (He's done this to me more than once lately, through some trials).  He will also discipline us if we're resisting Him.  Seek the Lord with as much of your heart as you can, being as pliable as you are able, and let Him increase.  Present yourself to Him, obey Him, and He will take care of the rest.

Jesus Christ is the Author and Finisher of our faith.  I have total confidence in His ability to finish the work He started in me, and in you too.  He knows what He's doing.  He is the Author and Finisher of the Church too, and He is in charge (the Head).  We should trust Him in forming us, and in forming the Church.  He's going to present us to the Father without spot or blemish.  What a glorious day that will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment