Monday, July 5, 2010

July 5, 2010 Strengthening The Spiritual Immune System

Psalm 3 showed up at a good time for me; it must have been on Paul's mind too when 40 men had vowed to kill him.  I don't have people vowing to kill me, (that I know of), but all it takes is one to throw a spiritual javelin at you and take you out (if you don't have your shield of faith up).  When an angry person shows up at my door with no good intentions, I have to be reminded that it's "not against flesh and blood" that we fight against, but against "principalities, against powers, against the rulers of darkness of this age, against spiritual wickedness in the heavenly places" (Ephesians 6:12, KJV and NKJV combined). 

When we're threatened in any way, we tend to go into our natural "fight or flight" reaction, don't we?  I haven't overcome that yet, and I'm not sure we're supposed to.  The best thing to do, I think, is to train ourselves to "fly" to God, and then, if we're going to have to fight, we'll do it in His strength and wisdom, and inside His protective shield.  I would like to be found in Him to the point where I'm invulnerable to enemy penetration, and always have the Spirit-led response to an attack-- but unfortunately I'm not always where I should be at every given moment. 

God uses any attacks from the evil one (and yes, they often come through people who allow themselves to be used) to show us our weak places, or wrong states of being.  He heals us right up when we go to Him, so it's not the end of the world when we take a hit.  However, when we're not in the place of safety, we are at risk unnecessarily.  We waste time when we're knocked out for a while.  And the devil plays dirty and likes to kick us when we're down.

One of the worse things about getting wounded by a spiritual attack is that we tend to further injure ourselves with our unhealthy habitual responses to pain.  I do better than I used to, but I have to admit I still tend to fall into fleshly "self-medicating" when I am deeply hurt.  Our spiritual enemy studies how to hit us where he knows we're vulnerable: we advertise our vulnerabilities all the time, don't we?  Most of us have trouble facing what "open books" we are to all who care to observe.  Someone who hates you and wants to hurt you will go right for the jugular!  All he has to do, then, is watch our behavior afterward to know the attack was effective.  He doesn't have to do anything more, knowing we'll finish off the destruction all by ourselves. 

I've learned that I will recover much more slowly from a spiritual attack, and even end up getting sick, sometimes depressed, when I take refuge in fleshly things.  I thought the Proverb today was such an appropriate reminder:  "The spirit of a man will sustain him in sickness, But who can bear a broken spirit?  The heart of the prudent acquires knowledge, And the ear of the wise seeks knowledge." Proverbs 18:14-15  If our response to spiritual attack isn't to immediately seek out the Lord-- His word, His comfort, His healing and His wisdom-- we will lower our physical and our spiritual immune systems, becoming even that more vulnerable to whatever would like to destroy us.  Even our own weaknesses, then-- things we may have begun to have some victory in-- become greater enemies.  The world's lies have more access into us if we take refuge in worldly media when we are down.  Do you see why it is so important to go to the Lord first of all, no matter how we feel--even if we are angry with Him for some reason?

My immune systems are pretty strong right now, because I've been spending time in the Word, and I'm generally in a place of closeness with the Lord.  But I can still clearly remember times when I was not.  I don't want to get there again!  I can see the enemy would like to break my spirit so that I will succumb to sickness and sin and not be able to recover.  I am grateful to be shown that I am not where I need to be, and that I can improve my level of immunity.  I hope my experience, and these Scriptures today, will encourage you to stay close to the Lord, and run to Him first whenever you are challenged.   He is your shield, your defender, your sustenance, and the One who lifts your head.

Extra credit:  If the devil shows contempt for Christ by trying to thwart His purposes of redemption, can we be witnesses of the Gospel and gain great personal victories over the devil by overcoming sin, sickness and emotional disorders?  See Isaiah 53, Psalm 103, Luke 4:18, 2 Corinthians10:5

No comments:

Post a Comment