Tuesday, October 19, 2010

October 19, 2010 Exercising Godliness

Reading the story of the Hebrews who went back on their word about freeing the slaves reminds me of how I tend to be sometimes.  You might be able to relate too, if you think about it.  How often do we agree with God about something, only to go back on it later?  We don't usually admit that we're "changing our mind," but we do (backwards repentance!).  We often assent to the freedom God gives us, only to put ourselves back in bondage to the thing we were enslaved by.

The problem is, I believe, that after the initial decision to do right, we discover the pain or trouble it will cost us to actually do right.  Deciding to lose weight, or get in shape, or clean out the garage, or budget our time or money, all sound great in our minds, but doing them is another matter all together.  Spiritual things are pretty much the same, aren't they?  That's why Paul told Timothy to "exercise yourself toward godliness." 1 Timothy 4:7b

It's good to educate ourselves about the "whys" of doing something.  "Why" should I eat healthy food?  "Why" should I study the Word?  "Why" should I strengthen my core muscles?  "Why" should I be a doer of the Word?  "Why" should I be faithful in the little things?   Understanding things helps us do them.  But no matter how much we understand, it's always going to cost us to do what we know.  Perhaps this is why we need coaches.  They've gone through the pain and they've gotten to the gain!  They can help us continue when the going gets rough.

For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come."
1 Timothy 4:8

If the benefit of healthy living is "little" compared to the benefit of godly living (which includes development in spiritual things, God's way), then godliness is very profitable indeed!  If people benefit from practicing a "zen" lifestyle, imagine how much greater the benefits of practicing life the way Jesus reveals it! 

Having walked a bit in the living Way, I can personally testify that God's ways are totally worth walking in.  For instance, the practice of forgiveness towards others keeps me in the flow of heaven, and relieves a lot of stress.  But learning that practice has been a painful ordeal at times.  It helps me to remember that my Coach already forgave us, and that cost Him more than I can imagine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment