Saturday, March 13, 2010

March 13, 2010

Reading the Luke account of the story of Zechariah's visitation in the temple, I saw a different scenario than I had ever seen before.  Not that anything different happened, but I saw it in a different way. 

The angel Gabriel says to him, "Do not be afraid, Zechariah, for your prayer has been heard." Luke 1:13.  Gabriel went on to tell him that his wife Elizabeth would finally bear him a son.  I had always assumed that Zechariah had been praying for that son; but then I realized that, since he was standing before the altar of incense in the temple doing his priestly duties, when "the whole assembly of the people was praying outside,"  vs 10  that his prayers were for Israel: that God would "turn many of the people of Israel to the Lord their God." vs 16.

If bearing a son had simply been a private matter for Zechariah and Elizabeth, perhaps Gabriel would have visited them at home.  But the angel's visit to the temple during worship and prayer marked a significant turn of events for Israel.  I don't think Zechariah would have been quite so terrified when the angel showed up if it was usual then for the glory of God to appear in the temple.  This must not have happened to him before, and was unexpected. 

I also don't think that Zechariah had an expectation of receiving an answer to prayer about finally having a son.  His reaction to the news, and Gabriel's response to it, indicate that he had given up having faith about that.  I think it was Elizabeth who had the faith to have her womb opened.  Her statement was, "This is what the Lord has done for me when he looked favorably on me and took away the disgrace I have endured among my people." vs 25  I don't believe she had ever stopped entreating the Lord about her barrenness.

God's goodness and wonderful timing are showcased here, answering two separate prayers concerning barrenness: a woman's and a nation's.  God had a plan to not only bless a righteous couple who served Him, but to prepare His chosen people to receive the promised Messiah and the redemption He would bring. 

I see an application for us personally.  When we see the trouble around us, and take our cities and nations before the Lord in intercession, He will find a way to make us part of the answer.  It may just be that the long-awaited answer to the deepest longing of our heart is part of God's plan to bring His redemptive power to work in our own personal area of influence.  Isn't God awesome?

No comments:

Post a Comment