Wednesday, March 31, 2010

March 31, 2010

The word "compassion" came to me today as I read about how Jesus responded to the people who came to Him.  He preached the truth to them, healed them and fed them, even though He had gone aside to be alone.  This was His habitual lifestyle. 

Meditating on this, I began to think of how seldom I am in the place to feel compassion, or be moved by it.  I work at home, where I am comfortable, have clothes to wear and food to eat.  When I go on errands, I rarely see anyone in need.  I am sheltered from the difficulties of life.   I see photos, almost daily, and read of the disasters and other horrors in the world on the internet, and it is easy to become overwhelmed by all of it.  But do I really feel compassion?  My response to Haiti was to give money through Samaritan's Purse, for I truly hurt for them.  But, in general, I find I can offer up prayer but little else.  I think the shear magnitude of all of it causes it to feel unreal.  If it all truly touched me, I think I would be crushed.

How different our Christian life would be if we walked about as Jesus did and really talked to people!  Is it possible that true compassion takes eye contact?  The sound of a voice? A touch?  If we could again encounter the world's need on a daily basis, in our own sphere first, then I think we would find ourselves again moved with compassion as Jesus was.  He still is!  If we could find ways to put ourselves in the presence of others who have need, then we would find Him again moving as He did before, and we would see the miracles it often takes to meet those needs.  It's just going to take deliberate action on the part of a modern-day person, on my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment