Friday, March 5, 2010

March 5, 2010

I come to the Scriptures to meet with Jesus and hear from Him!  When I do this, I come away feeling enriched and strengthened.  If I don't (meaning I just approached the Bible-reading as a religious habit or obligation), I tend to feel irritated, impatient, confused or bored-- especially when reading such Old Testament books as Leviticus and Numbers!  And if I did not allow the Spirit of Truth to aid me in my studies, I would very often end up in error.  I am glad the Spirit is always available to lead us into all truth, and to reveal Christ in His Word.  I put my confidence in Him.

Even the Jews of Jesus' day had trouble understanding the Scriptures they were brought up with.  In the Mark passage, Jesus said that the Sadducees (learned men of the Book) were wrong because "you know neither the scriptures nor the power of God." Mark 2:24  On the other hand, He commended the wisdom of the scribe and said, "You are not far from the Kingdom of God." 12:34  Jesus distillation of the Commandments gives us a good template with which to begin studying the Scriptures: how does this passage help me love the Lord my God with my whole being, and what does it teach me about loving others? 12:29

When I see the Law books as a vivid and symbolic expression of God's heart, they become as revelatory to me as Revelations or the Prophets.  Did you see, in the Numbers description of the "test for faithfulness," the holy jealousy of the Lord over His Bride?  Have you ever experienced His written Word becoming a painful revelation of sin in your heart?  I have!  I am grateful that it doesn't stop there, and that Jesus took the curse Himself. 

Jesus speaks prophetically over us: "you SHALL love the Lord your God with all your heart. . ." and He is bringing it to pass.  He is drawing us to Himself, and His Word washes us clean.  Although it often hurts, we are wise to keep coming back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment