Monday, March 15, 2010

March 15, 2010

The Scripture readings for the last couple of days have spoken loudly to me about how people's words can steer the course of events.   Yesterday, we read "By the blessing of the upright a city is exalted, but it is overthrown by the mouth of the wicked." Proverbs 11:11  Today, Proverbs says that sometimes we need to hold our tongue.

I could write a whole lot about this, but instead, I'd like to encourage you to check it out for yourself.  How many examples can you find of people speaking words that influenced the future?  Were they positive or negative?

I'll give you an example:  look at Balaam and Zechariah.   These two men were both supposed to speak words from God that would effect the nation of Israel.  God had to intervene in each of these men's lives to keep them from opposing His plan with their words.   Balaam was confronted by an angel and so was Zechariah.  It was both these men's potential words that were an issue.  When they accepted God's will and were willing to speak in agreement with it, they were each released to prophecy and bless.

Too many times, I find myself opposing the Lord by speaking negatively.  I have discovered that it is not a peaceful place to be!  It's this very lack of peace that opposes me and brings me around to seek for God's perspective on my life and circumstances, or His attitude towards people, and causes me to get my speaking in line with His.  

What kinds of things have you found opposing you lately?  Do you think it might have anything to do with what you've been saying?

No comments:

Post a Comment