Friday, April 16, 2010

April 16, 2010

I woke up today feeling kind of old, wondering how I was going to ever be able to do all the things the Lord had put before me to do.  I was wishing I had done them when I was young, thinner and much more energetic.  I'm so glad I read the Scriptures today, for they really spoke to me about all this.

Even though I heard my call when I was 14, in an unmistakeable way (not an audible voice, but one that couldn't be missed), I wasn't in the place to walk it out.  In fact, I outright rejected it, more intent on my own way of doing things than worrying about what God wanted.  The next seven years was pitiful indeed!  Since then, every seven years has brought a new fresh call, a renewal of the very first call, with an increase.  God has never given up on His vision for my life.  He has never given up on His vision for yours, either.

I was so impressed with Caleb, who went to Joshua and asked for the inheritance that the Lord had promised him.  "I was forty years old when Moses the servant of the LORD sent me from Kadesh Barnea to spy out the land, and I brought back word to him as it was in my heart. 8 Nevertheless my brethren who went up with me made the heart of the people melt, but I wholly followed the LORD my God. 9 So Moses swore on that day, saying, ‘Surely the land where your foot has trodden shall be your inheritance and your children’s forever, because you have wholly followed the LORD my God.’ 10 And now, behold, the LORD has kept me alive, as He said, these forty-five years, ever since the LORD spoke this word to Moses while Israel wandered in the wilderness; and now, here I am this day, eighty-five years old. 11 As yet I am as strong this day as on the day that Moses sent me; just as my strength was then, so now is my strength for war, both for going out and for coming in. 12 Now therefore, give me this mountain of which the LORD spoke in that day; for you heard in that day how the Anakim were there, and that the cities were great and fortified. It may be that the LORD will be with me, and I shall be able to drive them out as the LORD said.” 13 And Joshua blessed him, and gave Hebron to Caleb the son of Jephunneh as an inheritance. Joshua 14: 6b-13

At first, I was reading that thinking, "That sure doesn't fit me!"  But the Lord showed me otherwise, for two reasons.  One, I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me-- it's Christ's righteousness and work in me, not my own, that makes me worthy and gives me the ability to carry out God's will.  Only faith and obedience is necessary.  That is all.  I haven't always been so great on the obedience part, and that's the only reason I am still struggling to take my inheritance.  But I see now that the faith part has always been there, although many times as good as dead from lack of corresponding action.  But I am still believeing.  In my spirit, I am more vigorous than ever, and because I know my God more than I did when I was 14, 21, 28, 35, 42, 49, 50, and 57 (everything gets refreshed at the 50th year, the Jubilee), I think I am able to say:  Now, then, give me this mountain!

We saw Jesus teaching that men ought to pray and not give up.  Yet, He wanted to know if, when He showed up, would He find enough faith so that we could receive the answer to our prayer. 

Jesus has shown up over and over again to answer my prayers, and yet, I was still not ready enough to keep exercising my faith in His promises to stand firm when the giants came to try and steal it.  I am determined to see it though this time, with His help.  He's not going to do my life for me, or without me.  But when I take my Sword up and my shield of faith, He's going to be right there strengthening me, and fighting for me.  I think I even have enough faith in His creative power to get back my youthful vigor! 

What about you?  What's He promised you?  What's your inheritance in Him?  Are you just going to stand there and wait another 7 years?  I don't think so!  It's time to act out our faith and say:  NOW, THEN, GIVE ME THIS MOUNTAIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment