Wednesday, February 17, 2010

February 17, 2010

When I read all the descriptions of sacrifices in Leviticus, which all seem quite gruesome to me, I get a feeling for how much God hates sin, and how often I miss the mark. But more than that, I am struck by the love and mercy of God. He has always been about making a way of atonement and forgiveness, and Jesus finally paid the price, making all the killing of animals unnecessary.

Jesus showed the Father's heart for forgiveness and His purpose of redemption so often, how could we miss it and become sin-worried as if we lived in the Old Testament? Jesus got criticized for eating with sinners (Mark 2:16), and for breaking the Sabbath (in the Pharisee's mind), but He was in redemptive, restoration mode at all times. "The sabbath was made for humankind, and not humankind for the sabbath." (NRSV) And what He's doing with us now is getting us ready for new wine. vs 21

No comments:

Post a Comment