Friday, February 12, 2010

February 12, 2010

"All the people among whom you live shall see the work of the Lord; for it is an awesome thing that I will do with you." Exodus 34: 11  This is a promise I'd like to claim-- how about you? I see some stipulations here: don't make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land (the Promised Land) where God is sending you. Tear down the altars, pillars and sacred poles and don't worship their gods. What does that mean to you?

Of course God gave them other commandments, but I just wanted to focus on the fact that God called Himself "Jealous." Ex. 34:14   I avoid going into study for this devotional, but I couldn't help looking up this Hebrew word: it's "qanna," meaning "not bearing any rival; the severe avenger of departure from Himself." This is a name of God that I don't recall having learned before. We usually focus on names like Jehovah Jireh and Jehovah Rapha! He is still that, so while I'm on it, I'll drop this verse: 2 Corinthians 11:2. Look it up!

My One Year Bible is in the New Revised Standard. In the Matthew reading, it says that they handed Jesus over to be crucified out of "jealousy." I looked that up too, and the word is translated "envy" everywhere else. We get those words mixed up a lot and tend to use them interchangeably, when they are really different. I suppose the religious leaders of the day were "jealous" over their position rather than "jealousy guarding the things of God." They were also "envious" of Jesus popularity, power and whatever else.

The message for me is, don't get envious of the world and try to get what it seems they have, or I will end up compromising and making covenants with the world, which would make my God very Jealous! He wants us a "chaste bride" not "prostituting ourselves to other gods."

That is the reason, for example, that I have chosen not to pursue contracts for publication or recording, and I don't take commercial art commissions. I don't want to get entangled with the world and have it dictate to me what I should do. A desire for riches or fame are things the Lord has taken years to burn out of me, to keep me from falling away. He still runs regular "virus scans" on the motives of my heart to keep it pure.

I will not always be popular when I start to "tear down altars and break pillars and sacred poles" on the mountains where the Lord has called me to have influence. Even when I'm doing God's will, and perhaps displaying the favor of the Lord while working in the world, it is possible that some religious types will get all up in arms to try and discredit me. But I can rely on the fact that "the eye of the Lord is on those who fear him, on those who hope in his steadfast love, to deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine." Psalm 33:18-19

Whether I prosper in all that I do or I become a martyr for the testimony of Christ, one thing I know: Jesus took my death on the cross and prevailed!

No comments:

Post a Comment